Why You Should be Using LinkedIn (And How to Use it Better)
LinkedIn is a massive social media platform for professionals. With more than 660 million members, it is an exciting (and intimidating) place to network with others. But so many people don’t use LinkedIn to its fullest potential.
Why should they?
Because 93 percent of recruiting managers use LinkedIn for job recruitment. Having a complete profile helps recruiters get a better understanding of you as both an individual and professional. LinkedIn is also a valuable tool for people to research companies and organizations when job hunting. It is an invaluable resource for job hunting.
Even if you’re happily employed, LinkedIn is a great place to network and learn. LinkedIn’s learning platform, aptly named LinkedIn Learning, is a great place to continue your education. However, LinkedIn Learning is a separate subscription. LinkedIn can also help you network with other professionals and learn from each other.
Now that you know the importance of LinkedIn, where do you start? Do you have to have a spotless profile? How much experience should you share? Do you have to post often? Here are 5 tips to help you start using LinkedIn better:
- Complete your profile. Include your past positions and what your responsibilities were. If possible, quantify what you were able to accomplish (i.e. “increased the business’ Instagram following by x percent”). Write a short bio that tells who you are. And, don’t forget to include information about any certifications and volunteer experience you have (all of it is what makes you, you!).
- Build your network. Start by connecting with the people you know from work, school or outside of your professional realm. Then, follow businesses you are interested, people in your industry or people whose jobs just sound fun!
- Reach out to people. Message your connections and ask to talk about their job. Don’t just message people during the job search; It’s important to continue to cultivate relationships. While it can be scary to cold message people, so many are willing and excited to meet with you.
- Follow people and hashtags that are important to you. People on LinkedIn post helpful information you can use to learn and keep up to date with trends in your industry. You can also join groups to learn about specific topics (I.e. “Graphic Design Tips & Tricks – LinkedIn Learning”).
- Post updates for your network. People want to know what you’re up to and they want to help you. Keep them updated about any new jobs you accept, help you need or exciting things you’re doing at work. And spend time reading and engaging with your network’s content.
Take advantage of the resources and people on LinkedIn so that you can become the best professional possible!
We can help get your business growing on LinkedIn and offer a complete social media plan. Want to know more? Call us at 850-688-0510. Don’t forget to connect with us on LinkedIn.